Chicken Cooked in Perry
2 chicken legs or thighs, skin on
4 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250ml perry or cider
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 sprig of thyme
100ml double cream
1 tbsp olive oil
- Melt the butter and oil together in a heavy based frying pan with a lid.
- Add the chicken and sear until golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate and tip in the shallots and garlic. Cook on a medium heat until pale gold and soft.
- Add the thyme, put the chicken back in and pour in the perry or cider. Put a lid on and simmer for 45 mins to an hour depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Take out the chicken and leave under some foil to rest.
- Turn up the heat to reduce the sauce, add the cream and simmer until it starts to thicken. Whisk in the mustard and pour over the chicken to serve.