This risotto is one of my favourites, it translates as “spring risotto” and is perfect at this time of the year as all the seasonal vegetables are young and delicious.
You can use any spring vegetable but we tend to use green ones as it looks so healthy, never mind the cheese and butter that go into it....
- 100g butter
- 1 white onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 200g risotto rice
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g fresh peas in the pod
- 400g broad beans in the pod
- 250g baby courgettes
- Bunch fresh mint
- Bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- Squeeze of lemon
- 200g teifi cheese grated
- Salt and pepper
- Pod the peas and beans keeping any young leaves or shoots from either if you are lucky enough to have any.
Chop the courgettes into fine slices.
- Melt half the butter and cook the onions and garlic until soft, add the rice and stir on a medium heat to coat, add the wine then the stock ladle by ladle keeping the heat low and cook for around 15 minutes.
- Add the courgettes and a little more stock, and stir through, add the beans then the peas, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Once the rice is just cooked stir in the rest of the butter, the herbs and any pea and bean leaves and finally 100g of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes and serve with the rest of the cheese.